Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Amazing Resiliency of Bebe's Cats


The kitties are installed in two small rooms in my home, awaiting their chance to meet fosters or adopters on Sunday at PetMAC in DC (petmac.org).


It can't be easy to weather the changes they have seen in the last few months since my mom passed away and the newest change, from their home of 12 years (their whole lives) to these small rooms with one hissing cat (mean old Alice) and one barking dog (Jacques doing his job "scaring" away the mailman) just a closed door away.


Regardless, sweet, shy Nany is already venturing out of her open kennel for ear rubs. I'd consider Nany (momma to all but Vixen) the shyest of the bunch and maybe the sweetest too as she rarely will hiss and never lashes out. Nany has lived nearly her whole life avoiding human contact - easy to do in my mom's home. But it's taken just one day for her to come around to the view that the human touch is not so bad. Yeah, those head rubs are pretty nice - I think I'll come out to get more of those.


After a day Delilah is reverting to her own sweet self, greeting me when I come into the room with a purr and gently rubbing against me for pets. Gracie is still unsure of what to make of her new surroundings but her little purr motor is starting up today. Georgie, who is so outgoing but still bearing a grudge against me for the grooming I gave him yesterday is still waivering between popping me one and getting his head pet. And good ol' Vixen, steady tabby girl is her ol' friendly, outgoing self. No doubt in her mind that all is well as long as there is someone to rub her head and feed her.

No comments: